5 of the Best Street Fashion Blogs to Check Out Now
Posted by ArtFireContent on 05/17/2011 at 15:43:51
Street fashion has become a hot topic in the last several years, where real people set trends and mark shifts in what we consider stylish. Street fashion is often seen in major urban centers, and is also extremely diverse in Japanese. Fashion is a fluid medium, and finding the original "source" for trends can be almost impossible; mainstream fashion often borrows from street fashion, and vice versa. Street fashion blogs are made up of pictures of real people on the street (fitting name, right?), and are a great way to keep up with trends as well as get unique sartorial ideas.
1) Speaking of sartorial, perhaps the best know street fashion blog is The Sartorialist. The blog was started by a former fashion photographer who wanted to share photos of people he saw on the streets of New York that he thought had great individual style. The aim was to bridge the gap between what he saw in the showrooms and what real people were wearing. Today the site has been listed as one of Time Magazine’s top 100 design influences.
2) Altamira is a street fashion blog that almost crosses over into mainstream fashion. Why? All the photographs are of models. With the tag-line 'Models off Duty," the site captures models and other fashion industry insiders on the streets of New York and around the world.
3) LookBook.nu used to be an exclusive street style blog for invited members only, but it is now open to the public. The site can be separated into images of girls, guys or both, and has several ways to filter the images on the right-side navigation, including country, brand type of clothing accessory.
4) Japanese street fashion is characterized by mix of both local and foreign labels, and are sometimes extreme and avant-garde. Many elements of youth culture influence Japanese street style, as well as Tokyo's club scene and cosplay among other subcultures. Japanese Streets and Japanese Street Reports are great resources to see more.
5) Facehunter - The photographs on Facehunter.com are all taken by Yvan Rodic, who did not have a background in photography or fashion when he started the blog in 2006. Facehunter is now one of the world's most visited street style blog, and the best shots are complied in a book. Rodic has traveled to nearly thirty countries, capturing real people, whose clothes reflect the incredible diversity of fashion around the world.