One of the most important keys to health is rest. Quality rest and sleep.
We live in a fast-paced society where we think we can go forever and don’t need to sleep because we have too many other more important things to do.
Perhaps we can get away with it for a short period, but with time, we get worn out and don’t function as efficiently as we want.
Personally, I like to tell myself that I can go without a lot of rest and sleep sometimes, but I know that is not true. I’ve learned that staying up until the very late hours of the night doing work is not very efficient. It takes me twice as long to accomplish a task and the lack of sleep causes me to feel more stressed, anxious, overwhelmed, emotionally unstable, and simply ungrounded.
Not allowing ourselves to rest can play a huge toll on the body, which leads to inflammation, lower immune system, and disease. Lack of rest and sleep is also a common factor to not being able to lose weight.
That said, it’s often hard to slow down and even fall asleep at night since we are so stimulated by technology, lights, and mind chatter. It is very helpful to have a night routine that creates ease, peace, and relaxation before bed.Here are a few things I do:
- Shut off electronics at least 20 minutes before getting in bed
- Read a good book or journal
- Apply some lavender essential oil on my hands, neck, and nose or light some incense
- Drink a hot cup of herbal tea or sleep tonic that I’m sharing below
This routine is still challenging at times, but I do my best because I know that getting good sleep makes me feel refreshed and happier in my life.Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cup coconut milk (Homemade or Organic BPA-free canned coconut milk)
- cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cardamom pods or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-3 Tablespoons raw honey, to taste
- If using cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods: Add all ingredients to a small pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer with lid on for 15-20 minutes. Strain into mug and enjoy.
- If using powdered spices: Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a small pot and bring to a simmer to heat up. Pour into mug and enjoy.
- Garnish with cinnamon, optional.