Series by Chelsea HoelAn empath is someone who is prone to feeling and taking on the emotions of other people.
photo via sherry06.artfire.comYou might be an empath if…
- You are intuitive: Empaths may just know things, if you have ever been in a situation where you have just felt unsafe or uncomfortable for no reason and later found out that there was a very real reason why you felt that way, you might be an empath. If you have a talent for pinpointing what kind of person someone is before getting to know them well, or if you have ever walked up to someone and known immediately something was wrong you might be an empath.
- You are sensitive: If you are the kind of person who will sit and listen to others for hours on end, quick to cry sometimes, get your feelings hurt easily, or if you have ever been told that you are “too sensitive” that can be an indicator.
- You take on emotions of those around you: If you feel like you want to cry when your friend is crying, get angry when your friend is angry, if you have ever been walking down the street and felt anxious, angry, sad, or any other emotion that you know does not belong to you, or if you have a hard time staying positive around negativity or negative around negativity you could be an empath.
- You can experience sensory overload: If you’ve ever been in a crowded or loud space and felt like everything is just too much that can be the sign of an empath, being surrounded by a lot of heightened emotions can be very overwhelming to someone who feels very deeply as an empath does.
- You are very giving, but never feel like it’s enough: If you’ve ever been walking down the street and given money to a homeless person but still feel horrible for them, if you’ve provided emotional support to others until you are exhausted but feel sad that you can’t do more, or if you are extremely quick to forgive that can also be an indicator.