There is something about the smell of baking bread that warms the heart and soothes the soul.
Making bread is one of those things that a lot of people are scared to try. This 4 ingredient recipe will show you that there is nothing to be worried about. Not only is it simple, it is truly delicious. So much so that you may never want to buy bread again!
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Instant or Rapid-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 c water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 3 ingredients.
- Add the water and mix until the dough is mixed well and very sticky.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a cool dark place for 12 – 18 hours. (We usually make our dough at night and bake it the next morning.)
- Place a dutchoven or ceramic pot with lid in the cold oven and heat to 450 degrees. Once the oven is heated to temperature, leave the pot in for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dump the dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Lightly re-cover with the plastic wrap and let rest while the pot is heating.
- Remove the pot from the oven and CAREFULLY drop in the dough. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and place (dump) bread on a wire rack to cool.
- Make sure the bread is cool before slicing with a bread knife.
We have had fun experimenting with different flavors of bread.
One of our favorites is cranberry almond. We add a handful of dried cranberries and a handful of slivered almonds when we make the dough.
Roasted garlic and cheese is also a favorite. The trick with this one is to NOT add the roasted garlic until you turn out your dough right before you bake it. If you add the garlic when you first make the dough, the yeast and garlic start to ferment.