Knife collecting is a hobby that involves seeking, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, storing, displaying and maintaining knives.
Different collectors have different interests. There are those that are generalists and collect different types of knives. There are others that are specialists. These ones specialize on a given type of knife. For example, they can concentrate on handmade knives or knives from a given factory or generation.
Regardless of the type of knife collector that you are, there are pros and cons that come with the hobby.
Pros of knife collection
- Neat way to spend free time: If you are in a career that leaves you with plenty of free time you don’t have to worry of what you will do with that time. When you become a knife collector you have better use for the time. This prevents you from engaging in vices such as excessive alcohol consumption. Psychologists show that when you engage in hobbies, you tend to have a better mental image of yourself. This means that by collecting knives you feel better about yourself.
- Rich history: There is no collector that doesn’t want to know more about a weapon that he/she buys. The more knives that you collect, the more you learn about them. This increases your knowledge and in no time you become a master of the art. As you gather the knowledge you not only get to educate other people, you also get to make wiser decisions when making future purchases.
- Make money: There are always people interested in collecting knives. As you know, the value of an antique product increases with time. This means that if you don’t want to keep your knives, you can always sell them at a higher price than you bought them. This means more money on your side.
- Remembrance: Let us be realistic. We all want to be remembered once we are gone. In most cases, people are remembered by the things that they did. As a knife collector, you will leave behind knives for your children to remember you with.
Cons of Knife Collection
Just like any other hobby, there are disadvantages that come with knife collection. Some of these disadvantages include:
- Waste of money: There are many genuine antique knives that you can collect but like in any other industry there are some unscrupulous people that might try selling you fake antique knives. If you fall into their trap you end up wasting money. But it can be overcome through minimal research and finding a trusted source.
- Addictive: Sometimes the collections can get out of hand and you find yourself spending more money than you planned. This can bring about bad blood in the family especially if you don’t have a lot of money to spend on knife collection.
- Injuries: Since knives are weapons, they can easily injure the people around you. This is common when you have young children that might try playing with your collections and in the process injure themselves. It is advised to keep your knives safe and beyond the reach of children.
These are the pros and cons of knife collection. The key to success with this hobby is research. Before you make any purchase, ensure that the knife you buy is of high quality and genuine.
About the author: Umair Mirza
I’ve been selling GladiatorsGuild damascus knives for a long time. These are highly unique and custom made. These knives are indeed a great addition for a knife collector.