Organic Black Eyed Peas - 1 Ounce
Organic Black Eyed Peas
Description: Vigorous, heavy yielding and very reliable. Pleasant, sweet, pea-like taste and buttery texture. Pods are 6 to 7 inch long, well-filled with large, smooth-skinned seeds of delicious flavor and consistency. Resistant to Common Wilt, Nematodes and other pea diseases.
Height: 24 inch to 30 inch
Width: 24 inch
Spacing: 4 inch
Needs Pollinator: No
Planting Season: Spring
Days to Maturity: 55-65
Needs Isolation: No
Start Indoors: Not needed, may be started indoors early in season, before last frost.
Start Direct: Yes
Soil pH: 6.0 to 7.2 (Slightly acidic to just above neutral).
Container Growing: Yes, very successful.
Sowing: Prepare the planting bed by using a garden fork to loosen the soil. Mix in a 1-inch layer of mature compost. Plant seeds 1 inch deep. Wide double rows (two parallel rows of beans planted 12 to 14 inches apart) are the most space-efficient way to grow beans; you may incorporate an arbor/arch/latticework if you desire.
Transplanting: Beans may be transplanted if started indoors, however, in general, almost all types of beans do not respond well to transplanting after establishment.
Fertilizer: Beans don't need much nitrogen since they are able to take nitrogen from the air and fix it on their roots; called nitrogen fixation. Add lime if the soil is acidic. Rich soil or soil to which compost has been added will be fine until beans begin to flower. At this time, side dress with manure or additional compost.
Water: Adequate moisture is especially important from flower bud formation to pod set. Too much or too little water, or excessive heat, causes blossom and pod drop. Provide bean plants with 1 inch of water per week. Extremes in soil moisture can also lead to malformed pods in which only the first few seeds develop, leaving the rest of the bean pod shriveled. Water early in the morning to allow plants to dry quickly and reduce opportunity for disease to set.
Temperature: Beans are not tolerant of frost, they require warm soil; if you prefer you may start indoors a few weeks before last frost to jumps start the season.
Maintenance: Hill rows with soil during early growth to protect against wind. Take care when weeding seedlings because the roots are near the surface.
Crop Cycling: Avoid growing beans in the same spot for more than 3 or 4 years consecutively. Cycle them with other plants to ensure proper soil health.
Companion Plant/Compatibility: Bean grow wonderfully well with Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Peas, Potatoes, Radishes, Squash, and other common garden plantings. Avoid growing in very close proximity with Garlic, Onions, Peppers, and Sunflowers.
Soaking: Do not soak beans prior to planting to encourage germination. Soaking encourages blight and other diseases early and late in the growing cycle.
Harvesting: Frequent picking will result in increased flowering and greater yields. Be careful when pulling the pods off so as not to damage the vines. The pods are ready to pick when they snap easily and seeds are not yet fully developed. Avoid harvesting in very hot or very cold weather. Harvest almost daily to encourage production; if you allow pods to ripen fully, the plants will stop producing and die. Pulling directly on the pods may uproot the plants. Instead, pinch off bush beans using your thumbnail and fingers; use scissors on pole and runner beans. Also cut off and discard any overly mature beans you missed in previous pickings.
Average Count per Ounce: 140 to 160 beans per ounce. [All counts are average, we will always include additional for undersized beans.]
All Other Countries
First Item: $7.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $4.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.