Earrings Kenneth Jay Lane KJL Black Domed Diamante Embedded Rhinestone
Excellent condition, these domed shaped earrings appear to be lucite embedded with rhinestones encircled by a gold plated rim. Based on the guide to dating KJL jewelry (provided below), I believe these earrings to be older pieces circa mid 1960s. They measure 1 3/8" in diameter, approximately 1/2" deep, and weigh 33 grams. To inspect photos, simply click on the binocular icon on the top right corner of any photo. (Inventory Reference B-041721-#1)
Kenneth J. Lane began his illustrious career in the Art Department of New York Vogue in 1954. It wasn't until 1963 that he headed out on his own after designing for Hattie Carnegie, the shoe designer Roger Vivier and rhinestone accented shoes for Dior. His jewelry is big, bold, dramatic and of superior workmanship and the use of fine stones that he personally developed with his supplier in Germany. His jewelry was signed with the K.J.L. logo for the first 10 years of production.
Kenneth Lane's earliest pieces were unsigned during his "handmade" phase which didn't last very long. Then came K.J.L. (1962 until even now). He started using Kenneth Lane in the late 1960's. Since then he's gone back and forth - with periods, without, with a copyright ©, with a registration ® mark. The best way to tell if a piece is old is to actually see it. Many of the 1960's pieces had an antiqued finish and had certain kinds and colors of plastic cabochons he doesn't use anymore. Kenneth Lane is one of those designers who almost never retires a piece permanently.
A guide to dating this jewelry is summarized below.
1. 1962-1970's - K.J.L. with periods, first mark used (no copyright symbol), mark used in other stores in cities that also had a Saks
2. 1960's - KENNETH © LANE, with a big ©, an early mark for pieces sold exclusively at Saks Fifth Avenue. The © symbol was dead center in the logo. There was also another early mark with the © symbol moved to the bottom preceding LANE on the logo
3. 1970's - KJL without periods
4. 1970's - KENNETH © LANE, with very small ©
5. 1980's - K.J.L.© with periods
6. 1980's - K.J.L.® with periods
7. 1980's - KENNETH©LANE, © is centered
8. 1980's to 1990's KENNETH JAY LANE or KENNETH LANE -, used in his own franchise stores
9. 1980's to 2004 KENNETH © LANE - K.J.L. for AVON or KENNETH LANE for AVON -. The jewelry from the 1980's and 1990's are all signed K.J.L. for Avon. 2001 and later; most recent K.J.L. for Avon is not signed K.J.L. for Avon, but simply KJL. Only the box that the jewelry came in has the Avon name and address on it. It would be wise to keep the boxes for authenticity.
10. 1991-2000, ©KJL mark used for QVC, no periods with the copyright mark preceding the "K".
11. 1990 to now, KENNETH©LANE with © on the same line as LANE.
This jewelry comes from an extensive collection which includes some of the most desirable designers; Boucher, Carnegie, Ciner, DeLizza and Elster (aka Juliana), Eisenberg, Haskell, Hobe, Lane, Philippe for Trifari, Schreiner, Schiaparelli, Vendome, and Weiss as well as Coro, Coventry, Kramer, Krementz, Lisner, and Trifari.
Numerous pieces are book pieces and many had matching pieces so many demi-parures are available. I acquired so much of this jewelry that I will be working on offering it in the store for years to come.
There are additional antique and vintage necklaces, brooches, and earrings in the Designer, Necklaces, Pendant, Earrings, as well as the Bakelite, Lucite, and Other Plastics Studio Categories.
There are also other antique and vintage costume and plastic jewelry (bakelite, lucite, celluloid, and figurals), collectibles, books, art, glass, china, kitchen, home decor, and retro pieces in the store.
So, please do take a look and simply click on the For Sale Tab (top left) or any section in the store (top right) to browse.
For finding a specific item, you can also enter any word for an item you are looking for in the search box (top right) or visit www.vintagetreasuresfound.com to find your treasure!
Vintage Origin Details
Domed, Embedded Rhinestones
Country of Origin