Organic Black Lithops Seeds - 25 Seeds
Organic Black Lithops Seeds
Other Names: Lithops aucampiae var. Aucampiae, Living Stones, Stone Plant, Pebble Plant, Rock Plant, Rock Flower, Beeskloutjies, Perdeklou
General Description: Lithops are dwarf, succulent mimicry plants comprising two thick fleshy semi-translucent leaves resembling stones. These leaves fuse together at soil level where they taper down to a single carrot-like structure which eventually becomes the root. The flattened top part of the leaf is window-like. This window performs a very important function, allowing light to enter the plant body where the sun's rays activate cells which assist with photosynthesis. The genus Lithops is found in South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana and is one of the most popular and sought after groups of succulents. Lithops are characterized by paired leaves fused in a tapering cone-like body with smooth flat or rounded tops that are adorned with ridges, warts, islands, wrinkles, windows, and sometimes colorful markings. The flowers, which are either white or yellow, emerge from between the leaf pairs in autumn or winter.
Natural Range: Southern African continent, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and Swaziland.
USDA Zones: All USDA Zones when grown as an indoor plant. When grown outdoors, USDA Zones 9b and above.
Water: Lithops, in general, are very drought-tolerant – one of the best plants for xeriscaping that we have found in many years. Normal treatment in mild temperate climates is to keep them completely dry during winter, watering only when the old leaves have dried up and been replaced by a new leaf pair. Watering continues through autumn when the plants flower and then stopped for winter. The best results are obtained with additional heat such as a greenhouse, countertop light, windowsill, or other supplemental heat source. In hotter climates Lithops will have a summer dormancy when they should be kept mostly dry, and they may require some water in winter. In tropical climates, Lithops can be grown primarily in winter with a long summer dormancy. In all conditions, Lithops will be most active and need most water during autumn and each species will flower at approximately the same time.
Soil: Lithops thrive best in a coarse, well-drained substrate that has a slight amount of organic material mixed in. In the wild, these plants survive on seemingly the minimum amount of organic soil material, and grow in some of the most unprobeable places. Any soil that retains too much water will cause the plants to burst their skins as they over-expand.
Soil pH: 6.5 to 8.2; amend as needed.
Sun: Plants grown in strong light will develop hard strongly colored skins which are resistant to damage and rot – although persistent overwatering will still be fatal. Excessive heat will kill potted plants as they cannot cool themselves by transpiration and rely on staying buried in cool soil below the surface for thermoregulation.
Propagation: May be sown by seed all year long when growing indoors. If planting outdoors in the proper USDA Zones, sowing should be done in indoors 4 to 6 weeks prior to last frost and then transplanted outdoors in mid-spring/early summer.
Care and Maintenance: Lithops thrive best in a coarse, well-drained substrate. Any soil that retains too much water will cause the plants to burst their skins as they over-expand. Plants grown in strong light will develop hard strongly colored skins which are resistant to damage and rot, although persistent overwatering will still be fatal. Excessive heat will kill potted plants as they cannot cool themselves by transpiration and rely on staying buried in cool soil below the surface. Some growers mix a mild organic fungicide or weak strength organic horticultural sulfur into the plants water to prevent rotting. (Not required, but helpful.) Lithops are sensitive to watering during hot weather, which can cause the plants to rot; in habitat the plants are often dormant when the temperatures are high, doing most of their growing during the cool months of the year. Low light levels will make the plants highly susceptible to rotting and fungal infection.
Seasons: Lithops are summer growers and as a general rule, they should be watered in summer and fall; water should be withheld in the winter during latency so that the new leaves can properly absorb the old.
Lithops like a well-drained growing medium and plenty of sun. They are almost universally propagated by seed.
Individual Lithops plants consist of one or more pairs of bulbous, almost fused leaves opposite to each other and hardly any stem. The slit between the leaves contains the meristem and produces flowers and new leaves. The leaves of Lithops are mostly buried below the surface of the soil, with a partially or completely translucent top surface known as a leaf window which allows light to enter the interior of the leaves for photosynthesis.
Foliage: Veined, smooth to velvet-fuzzy skin that may be thicker depending upon growing and sunlight factors.
Height: Average around 6 inches (15 cm). Normal height is between 4 to 7 inches in general.
Spacing: 3 to 6 inches (7 to15 cm)
Other Information: The plants appear to have a wide tolerance of habitats, growing in quartzite pebble pavements, on dry, stony slopes or flats, calcrete soils and even in open patches in grass. Derivation of name and historical aspects is simple, Lithops is derived from the Greek lithos meaning stone-like or stone appearance, so, the common name, living stones. New varieties are always being found, and a few new are added to the botanical catalog every year. Much has been speculated about the medicinal and health benefits of Lithops. Much of this information is anecdotal and unproven by empirical evidence. Because their camouflage is so effective, new species continue to be discovered, sometimes in remote regions of Namibia and South Africa, and sometimes in well-populated areas where they simply had been overlooked for generations.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.