ArtFire Help Center
ArtFire Collections Help Guide Posted On: 04/06/2011 Last Updated: 12/04/2014
Welcome to the ArtFire Collections Help Guide.
The new ArtFire Collection engine allows every member of ArtFire to produce curated collections of products available for sale on ArtFire. Pro users can create an unlimited number of collections while users with Buyer accounts are limited to one collection per 24 hour period.
Member curated Collections provide not only a great visual shopping experience, but are also used to populate the front page of ArtFire.com, as well as ArtFire's weekly Collection email. While every item on ArtFire can be used in a Collection, only Collections that meet certain standards will be considered for the front page and email. To find out more about those standards, just scroll down to the FAQ part of this post and look for the question "Will my collection appear on the front page?"
Let's get started looking at everything the new ArtFire Collection Engine has to offer!
You'll see some of the most popular member curated collections on the Collections homepage. You can click on the "view Collection" button to familiarize yourself with how a finished Collection will look.
Before you can actually create a Collection, you'll need to have a MINIMUM of 12 items in your "Collection Queue."
ADDING ITEMS TO YOUR COLLECTION QUEUE
There are two different ways you can add items to your collection queue: from the item's listing page, and from your hotlist.
1) From the Item Listing Page: Every item on ArtFire has a brief list of popular sharing methods on the right hand side of the page. These include sharing on Facebook, Twitter and now "Add To Collection." Clicking the "Add To Collection" button will add that item to your Collection queue. (HINT: clicking the "Add to Collection" button refreshes the page with a new URL. If you are browsing you will need to hit the back button twice to get back to the page preceding the item listing page).
2) From your Hotlist: Each item in your hotlist now has an "Add to Collection Queue" text link. Clicking that link will add the item to your Collection queue.
Once you have a minimum of 12 items in your queue you can make your first Collection. If you want the Collection to be eligible for the front page and emails, you will need at least 16 items, see the "Will my Collection be on the Front Page?" question below for more information.
CREATING YOUR FIRST COLLECTION
There are two ways you can get to the new collection screen. From the ArtFire Collections homepage, you can click "Create A Collection" from the left hand side "Browse Collections" box. You will also find a "Create a New Collection" tab in the left hand navigation of your MyArtFire under the "Favorites" header.
Once you land on the "Create A New Collection" page, you will immediately see some of the items you've added to your Queue along the right side. Drag and drop the item pictures into your desired placement on the left. If you are not sure how to use something, check for its number in the image below and find the corresponding explanation below the image.
1. Title* - This is the title of your Collection, and the title of the page. Titles can be between 5 and 155 characters long.
2. Summary* - This is your description for the collection as the curator. This summary appears underneath your collection once it is published. Public browsers and search engines will be able to see this text. Summaries can be between 5 and 500 characters long.
3. Tags* - Similar to tagging your items or tagging a blog post, use collection tags to associate your Collection with the relevant keywords people would use to find the items in your Collection. You must include at least one tag per Collection.
4. Holiday / Age / Gender - ArtFire Collections populate Collection-based gift guides. Selecting the most appropriate choice for holiday / age / gender will help buyers sort out Collections to browse the perfect collections for their current buying interest.
5. Drag-n-Drop Item Placement - Click and drag items from your queue to place them in one of your 12 main Collection slots. Drag and drop from your queue or from a main Collection slot. Try dragging and dropping from different areas and over different slots to get a feel for how everything takes place.
6. Collection Queue - This is your queue of items you added from around the site or from your hotlist. Drag and drop items into one of your 12 main collection slots or one of your 4 alternative slots.
7. Refresh Queue - Use the refresh queue button if you have added items to your queue in a different tab or window. This button will update your current queue without losing any of the information you have already entered onto the page.
8. Drag-n-Drop Trash - Drag an item here to remove it from your Collection and queue. Dragging an item into the trash will NOT affect your previous Collections. If you trash an item it is removed from the collection you are working on and from your queue.
9. Drag-n-Drop Hotlist - Drag an item here to add it to your hotlist. Use this feature to hotlist items you'd like to use in future collections, or for any reason you might have to find the item again. Dragging an item to this box will not affect its current position.
10. Drag-n-Drop Alternatives - Drag items here that you want to be used as substitutes. Your alternative items will be used in order from left to right.
11. Clear Entire Queue - This button will clear out your entire Collection queue.
12. Front Page and Email Check-box - Check this box (if able) to submit your Collection for front page and email consideration. Scroll down to "Will My Collection Appear on the Front Page?" for more information.
13. Personalized Inclusion Message - Each artisan in your main Collection (up to 12) will receive a message notifying them that they have been included in your Collection. Leaving this field blank will send the default message. Personalize your message by writing a brief note here.
14. Notify Me of Comments Check box - Click this button if you would like to receive notifications of new comments on your collection. Please be aware that you cannot turn this notification off, if your collection is popular you may receive quite a few notifications.
15. Publish Collection Button - Once you have completed all of the required fields, click this button to publish your Collection. You can NOT edit Collections once published, so double check everything to make sure you are happy with it. If there are any errors or elements you need to address you will see red explanatory text after a publish attempt.