ArtFire Help Center
Troubleshooting PayPal Instant Payment Notification Issues Posted On: 03/01/2012 Last Updated: 07/31/2012
Troubleshooting PayPal Instant Payment Notification Issues
If you have been receiving successful payments via PayPal for orders made in your ArtFire shop, but those orders aren't being automatically updated as paid, then there is likely a problem with the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) settings in your PayPal account.
The most common cause of missing IPNs is that at some point in the past IPN delivery associated with your PayPal account was accidentally disabled. Please follow these steps to re-enable IPN delivery for your account.
1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
2. Click "Profile" in the grey header near the top of the page.
3. Click "My Selling Tools - Getting Paid, Shipping, more" in the menu on the left
4. Under "Getting paid and managing risk", click "Update" next to "Instant payment notification."
5. By visiting the IPN settings page page you'll automatically re-enable IPNs for your account if they were disabled. For an explanation of the options on the settings page, see below.
On the IPN setting page PayPal will ask for a notification URL. If you have your own website you've set up to use with PayPal, you may specify the URL your non-ArtFire site needs. Marketplace sites like ArtFire override any URL that is entered here when an order comes from our system, so if you only sell on marketplace sites similar to ArtFire you can put any URL you'd like there and it won't matter (enter www.ArtFire.com if you'd like or anything else). IPN delivery will begin working as normal and our system will be able to mark your PayPal orders as paid automatically.